Monday, September 21, 2009

Building Opera Unite Services in Java

For the last few weeks I've been experimenting with Opera Unite, due to be release in the next version of the Opera browser. Opera Unite services are built in JavaScript, however this felt like a limitation as building anything big in JavaScript alone can get a little hairy.

With this in mind I started on a few experiments to see if I could use GWT as a framework to build these services, thus allowing me to stay directly in the nice type safe world of Java.

GWT-Unite is the result of these experiments. It's a set of API's that allow easy creation of Opera Unite services without ever seeing a scrap of JavaScript! If your interested in taking a look, I've hosted it over at Google Code (gwt-unite.googlecode.com) where you'll find the source code, libaries, examples and documentation. If you have any ideas on how to make it better, why not join me!

No comments: